StatCrunch logo (home)

Report Properties
Thumbnail:

from Flickr
Created: Feb 15, 2019
Share: yes
Views: 135
Tags:
 
Results in this report
 
Data sets in this report
 
Need help?
To copy selected text, right click to Copy or choose the Copy option under your browser's Edit menu. Text copied in this manner can be pasted directly into most documents with formatting maintained.
To copy selected graphs, right click on the graph to Copy. When pasting into a document, make sure to paste the graph content rather than a link to the graph. For example, to paste in MS Word choose Edit > Paste Special, and select the Device Independent Bitmap option.
You can now also Mail results and reports. The email may contain a simple link to the StatCrunch site or the complete output with data and graphics attached. In addition to being a great way to deliver output to someone else, this is also a great way to save your own hard copy. To try it out, simply click on the Mail link.
Phase One: Flagler College Students and Tattoos
Mail   Print   Twitter   Facebook

Introduction:

The purpose of this study is to survey a portion of students at Flagler College about tattoos during the spring semester of 2019.  Specifically, this report will account student views of tattoos affected by varying factors, such as parents with tattoos, students with tattoos, how many tattoos they have, and opinions regarding certain tattoos.  

 

Data Collection:

In this first phase, statistical graphs are used to describe the surveyed sample of students. The targeted population is all of Flagler students enrolled in the spring semester of 2019. The sample size for this survey is one hundred fifty students enrolled in a MAT 223  course in the spring semester of 2019. Since only MAT 223 Statistics students were sampled, this sample may not be an accurate representation of all Flagler College students, and therefore sampling bias may exist. Additionally, since the data was self-reported, the sample results will more than likely produce measurement bias as well.      

 

Survey Questions:

1. What gender do you identify with?

2. How old are you?

3. Do any of your parents or legal guardians have a tattoo?

4. Do you have a tattoo?

5. How many tattoos do you have?

6. Approximately how many of your close friends have a tattoo?

7. Do you think that “tattoo sleeves” are attractive?

8. Do you think that people with “tattoo sleeves” are socially accepted?

9. Do you think other types of tattoos (not including sleeves) are socially accepted?

10. Do you think people with “tattoo sleeves” are treated differently than the general population?

 

Sample Data - Graphs and Summary Statistics

 

Demographics:

In the sample of 150 MAT 223 Statistics students, 74% were female and 26% were male. A bar graph displaying the students' ages is given below. This percent distribution of gender closely matches the percent distribution of the entire student body at Flagler College. The majority of the students are female.  Hence the mode response is female.



Age of students:

The age of the students surveyed is displayed in the histogram below. This distribution is unimodal and right skewed with two potential outliers at the ages of 37 and 32. Since the distribution is right skewed, the best measure of center is the median of 19 and the best measure of spread is the IQR of 1. Thus, the typical age of the students surveyed was 19 years old and most students were within 18 years of 19 years old.

 

 

Parents/Legal Guardians with a tattoo:

The pie chart below shows the results of the survey question that asked students if their parents or legal guardians had tattoos. The majority of students (94 students, which translates to 64% of those asked) answered that no, their parents do not have tattoos. The remaining 54 students (36% of those asked) answered that yes, their parents do have tattoos.

 

 

Amount of tattoos a student has:

 

The amount of tattoos the students who were surveyed have is delineated in the histogram below.  The distribution is unimodal and right skewed with 3 potential outliers that appear to be at 8, 11, and 14 tattoos.  Since the distribution is right-skewed, the best measure of center is the median of 0 tattoos, and an IQR of 1. Thus, the typical amount of tattoos the students have is 0, and most have between 0-1.   

 
 
 

Amount of close friends with tattoos:

The histogram below shows the amount of friends with tattoos students of the sample have.  The distribution is unimodal and right skewed with two potential outliers at the amount of 20 and 25.  Since the distribution is right skewed, the best measure of center is the median of 4 friends with tattoos, and an IQR of 5.  Thus, the typical amount of friends with tattoos was 4 and most students had between 1-5 friends with tattoos.

 

 

Are “tattoo sleeves” attractive:

The bar graph below shows the results of the survey question that asked students if they thought that “tattoo sleeves” are attractive. The graph shows that 24.7% of the students surveyed answered that yes, “tattoo sleeves” are attractive; 21.5% answered that no, they are not attractive; and 54% answered that it depends on the “tattoo sleeve” itself.

 

Are people w/ tattoo sleeves socially accepted:

The pie chart below shows the results of the survey question that asked students if they thought that people with “tattoo sleeves” are socially accepted. A total of 54 students (36%) answered that no, they don’t think people with “tattoo sleeves” are socially accepted. The remaining 96 students answered that yes, they do think people with “tattoo sleeves” are socially accepted.

 

Are other types of tattoos (not sleeves) socially accepted:

The pie chart below shows the results of the survey question that asked students if they thought that people with other types of tattoos (not sleeves) are socially accepted. This time, only 14 students (9.33%) answered that no, they are not socially accepted. However, the remaining 136 students (90.67%) answered that yes, they believe that people with other tattoos (not sleeves) are socially accepted.

 

Are people with “tattoo sleeves” treated differently?:  

 

The pie chart below shows the results of the survey question that asked students if they think that people with “tattoo sleeves” are treated differently. Out of all the students, 57 of them (38%) answered that no, people with “tattoo sleeves” are not treated differently. Meanwhile, 93 students (62%) answered that yes, people with “tattoo sleeves” are treated differently.


 

Result 1: Gender of Students Surveyed   [Info]
Right click to copy

Result 2: Age of Students surveyed   [Info]
Right click to copy

Result 3: Summary Stats for age (with outlier)   [Info]

Summary statistics:


ColumnnMeanStd. dev.MedianRangeMinMaxIQRMode
Age15019.0533332.176095519201737118

Result 4: Parents/Legal Guardians with a tattoo   [Info]
Right click to copy

Result 5: Students who have a tattoo   [Info]
Right click to copy

Result 6: # of tattoos a Student has   [Info]
Right click to copy

Result 7: Summary Stats for # of tattoos a student has (With outlier)   [Info]

Summary statistics:


ColumnnMeanMedianModeStd. dev.RangeMinMaxIQR
# of tattoos1500.87333333001.9569071140141

Result 8: # of Close friends with tattoos   [Info]
Right click to copy

Result 9: Summary Stats for # of Close friends with tattoos (with outlier)   [Info]

Summary statistics:


ColumnnMeanMedianModeStd. dev.RangeMinMaxIQR
# of Close friends with tattoos1505.4333333435.4777361250255

Result 10: Are "Tattoo sleeves" attractive   [Info]
Right click to copy

Result 11: Are people with tattoo sleeves socially accepted   [Info]
Right click to copy

Result 12: Are tattoos socially accepted   [Info]
Right click to copy

Result 13: Are people with "Tattoo sleeves" treated differently?   [Info]
Right click to copy

Data set 1. Garvey-Gagnon-Forehand-Sampled from Flagler Colleg   [Info]
To analyze this data, please sign in.

HTML link:
<A href="https://www.statcrunch.com/5.0/viewreport.php?reportid=84587">Phase One: Flagler College Students and Tattoos</A>

Comments
Want to comment? Subscribe
Already a member? Sign in.

Always Learning