StatCrunch logo (home)

Report Properties
Thumbnail:

from Flickr
Owner: lgrady150
Created: Oct 12, 2018
Share: yes
Views: 69
Tags:
 
Results in this report
 
Data sets in this report
 
Need help?
To copy selected text, right click to Copy or choose the Copy option under your browser's Edit menu. Text copied in this manner can be pasted directly into most documents with formatting maintained.
To copy selected graphs, right click on the graph to Copy. When pasting into a document, make sure to paste the graph content rather than a link to the graph. For example, to paste in MS Word choose Edit > Paste Special, and select the Device Independent Bitmap option.
You can now also Mail results and reports. The email may contain a simple link to the StatCrunch site or the complete output with data and graphics attached. In addition to being a great way to deliver output to someone else, this is also a great way to save your own hard copy. To try it out, simply click on the Mail link.
Phase One:Video Game Use of Flagler College Students Fall 2018
Mail   Print   Twitter   Facebook

In the fall of 2018, 150 Flagler College students taking Statistics were surveyed on the subject of video games. The gender and ages of the students were collected, of course. The students were asked how often they played video games, how many different games they play, how long they play (in minutes) in a day, what device they use to play, and whether or not they play online. Students were then asked if they believed it was safe to play with strangers, if violence in video games negatively effects players, and whether or not video games were addictive. 

The following report will analyze the answers given by the students in the form of graphs, charts, and summary statistics.

The population of interest in this experiment is the whole of Flagler College’s student population, and the sample is 150 Statistics students. Some bias may be present as Statistics classes tend to include mostly freshmen and sophomore students, but there is a respectable variation in the ages. Along with this, there are some flaws in the questions of the survey. Specifically, on question 6 where students were asked which device they game on. Knowing students, a majority of those that do game play on consoles like the Xbox One or Nintendo Switch or PS4. Unfortunately, though, there is no console options, which leads to an overabundance of students who answered “Other/None.” Some of those students may be console gamers. 

Survey Questions: 

1.What gender do you identify with? 

2. How old are you? 

3. How often do you play video games? 

4. How many different video games do you play regularly? 

5. Approximately how many minutes per day do you play video games? 

6. On what device do you play video games most often? 

7. Do you play video games online against other people? 

8. Do you think it’s safe to play video games virtually with people you have never met? 

9. Do you think that video games that feature violent actions and scenarios lead players to be desensitized to violence? 

10. Do you think video games are addictive? 

 

In the sample of the students in Fall 2018, the demographics are shown below: The majority of the sample is female (71.33%), and the remaining 28.67% is male.

Result 1: Gender of Students Surveyed Fall 2018   [Info]
Right click to copy

The histogram below, showing the age of the survey respondents, is unimodal and right-skewed; Therefore, the best measure of the center would be the median: 18. The best measure of the spread is the Interquartile Range (IQR): 1. Considering this information, the typical age of the students surveyed was 18, plus or minus 1. There are a few outliers, the most extreme being a student over the age of 35. This is not known to be false, so was not removed. 

Result 2: Age of Students Surveyed Fall 2018   [Info]
Right click to copy

Result 3: Summary Stats for Age of Students Surveyed Fall 2018   [Info]
Summary statistics:
ColumnnMeanMedianModeStd. dev.RangeIQRMinMax
Age15019.01333318182.20428712211638

The pie chart below shows that most students (54%) play video games less than once a month, making that the mode, with 24% playing weekly, 16% playing daily, and 6% playing monthly.

 

Result 4: Frequency of Video Game Use by Students Surveyed   [Info]
Right click to copy

 

This graph shows how many video games the students reported themselves playing, per week. The graph is right skewed as well, so median (1) and IQR (3) are the values that would most appropriately describe it. The most extreme outlier is a student who plays over 15 games regularly, but that is not likely to be false. 

 

Result 5: Number of Different Video Games Played by Students Surveyed Fall 2018   [Info]
Right click to copy

Result 6: Summary Stats for Number of Different Video Games Played   [Info]
Summary statistics:
ColumnnMeanMedianModeStd. dev.RangeIQRMinMax
Different Video Games1501.7866667102.6762356153015

This graph shows the amount of time, per week/in minutes, students reported themselves spending playing video games. It is heavily right skewed, with a median of 0 and an IQR of 45. Its major outliers are 3 students who play 300 minutes of video games in a day, which is not unreasonable or uncommon in gamers, so therefore should not be removed.

 

Result 7: Minutes Spent on Video Games by Students Surveyed Fall 2018   [Info]
Right click to copy

 

Result 8: Summary Stats for Minutes Spent on Video Games   [Info]
Summary statistics:
ColumnnMeanMedianModeStd. dev.RangeIQRMinMax
Minutes on Video Game15038.2733330067.905471300450300

 

This graph shows the way in which students play video games. Most (62.7%) answered “Other/None” to this question. This is the mode. 25.3% of students surveyed reported themselves using their cell phones, and the remaining 12% use their computer.

 

Result 9: Device Used for Playing Video Game by Students Surveyed Fall 2018   [Info]
Right click to copy

 

The pie chart below represents whether the games being played were online or not. When asked if they play video games online against other people, 64% of students answered No, making them the mode. 36% answered yes.

 

Result 10: Whether or Not the Video Game was Online   [Info]
Right click to copy

 

The pie chart below shows if the students considered the games they played safe to play with strangers. 79.33% (mode) of students surveyed answered yes, whereas the remaining 20.67% said no.

 

Result 11: If the Video Games are Safe to Play with Strangers   [Info]
Right click to copy

 

The pie chart below shows whether or not the students believe that violent scenarios in video games were desensitizing to those who play them: the majority of students (56%) answered no, whereas the remaining 44% answered yes.

 

Result 12: If the Video Games are Violent   [Info]
Right click to copy

 

The pie chart below shows whether or not students believed video games were addictive; 87.33% (mode) of students surveyed answered yes, whereas the other 12.67% of students surveyed answered no.

 

Result 13: If the Video Games are Addictive   [Info]
Right click to copy

Data set 1. Cheyenne_Leah_Video Games   [Info]
To analyze this data, please sign in.

HTML link:
<A href="https://www.statcrunch.com/5.0/viewreport.php?reportid=81056">Phase One:Video Game Use of Flagler College Students Fall 2018</A>

Comments
Want to comment? Subscribe
Already a member? Sign in.

Always Learning