StatCrunch logo (home)

Report Properties
Thumbnail:

from Flickr
Owner: twilson991
Created: Oct 4, 2018
Share: yes
Views: 195
Tags:
 
Results in this report
 
Data sets in this report
 
Need help?
To copy selected text, right click to Copy or choose the Copy option under your browser's Edit menu. Text copied in this manner can be pasted directly into most documents with formatting maintained.
To copy selected graphs, right click on the graph to Copy. When pasting into a document, make sure to paste the graph content rather than a link to the graph. For example, to paste in MS Word choose Edit > Paste Special, and select the Device Independent Bitmap option.
You can now also Mail results and reports. The email may contain a simple link to the StatCrunch site or the complete output with data and graphics attached. In addition to being a great way to deliver output to someone else, this is also a great way to save your own hard copy. To try it out, simply click on the Mail link.
PHASE ONE: Flagler College Students and Online Shopping
Mail   Print   Twitter   Facebook

PHASE ONE: Flagler College Students and Online Shopping

Introduction:


This study was to observe the Flagler students’ responses toward online and physical shopping during the fall semester of 2018. The survey asked the students questions on many aspects of the kinds of shopping they are associated with, how often they shop, and their personal opinions of online versus in store shopping.


Data Collection:


The first phase of the project is to examine the sample survey of students’ responses using statistical methods such as histograms, bar plots, pie charts, and summary stats. The targeted population is all Flagler students of fall 2018. The sample of students surveyed were one hundred fifty in MAT 223 Statistics. Because the sample is only of students in the Statistics class, the sample may not represent Flagler College’s students as a whole. The survey was self-reported as well.


Survey Questions:


  1. What gender do you identify with?

  2. How old are you?

  3. What type of shopper are you?

  4. Approximately how many times a year do you going shopping in stores for pleasure?

  5. Approximately how many times per month do you order something online that must be shipped to your house?

  6. When shopping online do you typically use a computer or a store app?

  7. When shopping for shoes and clothing, would you prefer to shop online or in a store?

  8. Do you think shopping online is easier and less time consuming than shopping at a store?

  9. Do you think shopping online is bad for local businesses?

  10. Do you think that, in the future, shopping stores will be obsolete, and people will do all their shopping online?


Sample Data – Graphs and Summary Statistics


Demographics:



In the sample of 150 Statistic students, there were 115 or 76.67% females and 35 or 23.33% males. The pie chart below displays these statistics of genders. Since there is a  majority of female responses, the mode is females.


Result 1: Gender Pie Chart   [Info]
Right click to copy



The age of the students surveyed is displayed on the histogram below. The distribution is unimodal and skewed to the right with a potential outlier at the age of about 35 and 40. Since the distribution is skewed, the best measure is the median and IQR.The median is 18 years old with the IQR of 1 year. Thus, the typical age of the students surveyed was 18 years old and most of the students were within 1 year of 18 years old. There are possible outliers of 34 and 39 because they could be unconventional students.

Result 2: Age of Survey Histogram   [Info]
Right click to copy


Result 3: Age Summary Stats   [Info]
Summary statistics:
ColumnnMeanMedianModeStd. dev.RangeIQRMinMax
Age15018.9218182.26594282111738



Other Sample Results:



In the pie chart below, it reveals the type of shoppers: “I love to shop; I could spend the day walking around stores,” “I must be in the mood to shop,” and “I dread shopping and go only out of necessity.” More than half of the sample answered “I must be in the mood to shop,” which resulted in 61.33%. 25.33% of the people responded with ‘I must be in the mood to shop’ and only 13.33% of people ‘dread shopping and go only out of necessity’.

Result 4: what type of shopper   [Info]
Right click to copy



The sample of students have a variety of answers for how often they shop for pleasure per year. The histogram below is multimodal and skewed to the right. The best measure is the median and IQR. The median is 12 and the IQR is 25. Thus, the typical amount of shopping for pleasure of students is 12 and can vary of 25. There are no visible outliers in the distribution.


Result 5: Pleasure of Shopping Histogram   [Info]
Right click to copy


Result 6: Summary Stats for Pleasure of Shopping   [Info]
Summary statistics:
ColumnnMeanMedianModeStd. dev.RangeIQRMinMax
Pleasure Shopping per Year15017.906667121015.2884335025050



The histogram below shows the amount of times a purchase order was shipped to their house per month. The chart is unimodal and skewed to the right. The best measure is the median and IQR. The median and IQR are both 2.

Possible mathematical outliers are 21, 25, and 30 because they are greater than 1.5 times the IQR, but these might not be mistakes, as students could receive daily meals shipments per month.


Result 7: Online Purchase Histogram   [Info]
Right click to copy


Result 8: Summary Stats for Purchase Orders   [Info]
Summary statistics:
ColumnnMeanMedianModeStd. dev.RangeIQRMinMax
Order online per Month1502.9266667214.5540699302030


In the sample of 150 students 128 or 85.33% said that they use a computer when shopping online and 22 or 14.67% said that they use a store app when shopping online. The majority of the surveyed students said that when shopping online they use a computer so, using a computer is a mode.


Result 9: App vs online   [Info]
Right click to copy



In the sample of 150 students 122 or 81.33% said that when shopping for shoes and clothes they would prefer to shop in store and 28 or 18.67% said that they prefer to shop online. The majority of the students said that when shopping for shoes and clothing they would prefer to shop in store so, shopping in store is the mode.


Result 10: online vs in store   [Info]
Right click to copy


The majority of students, as shown in the pie graph, responded that online shopping was easier and quicker than in store shopping with 104 or 69.33% while the remaining 46 or 30.67% responded no.


Result 11: Is Online Easier Pie Chart   [Info]
Right click to copy



114 or 76% of students believed that online shopping was bad for local businesses and the other 36 or 24% responded no, making the mode answer that online shopping was bad for local businesses.


Result 12: Pie Chart Local Business   [Info]
Right click to copy


For the future of shopping, the responses were roughly equal, 78 or 52% of the students responding no and 72 or 48% of the students responding yes. The students who responded no was slightly higher than the students who responded yes.

 

Result 13: Pie Chart Future   [Info]
Right click to copy

Data set 1. Flagler College Students and Online Shopping - Emm   [Info]
To analyze this data, please sign in.

HTML link:
<A href="https://www.statcrunch.com/5.0/viewreport.php?reportid=80417">PHASE ONE: Flagler College Students and Online Shopping</A>

Comments
Want to comment? Subscribe
Already a member? Sign in.

Always Learning